Shyheim "Disrespectfully Speaking" Album

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Well, I have to admit, I missed this shit comin' out on October 27th. This was a release that fell way under my radar. Luckily, my man Khamal filled me in today about this new official album from Shyheim titled "Disrespectfully Speaking." I can't even believe right now that the "Rugged Child" will turn 31 years-old on November 14th this year. That shit makes me feel mad old, 'cause this dude was around 14 when RZA put him on back in the day. His third album, "Manchild," was slept on for the most part, but was one of the illest albums released in 1999. Shyheim has always been on top of his dart game, so I always will respect his skills.

This release is a little difficult for me to back fully do to the fact that Shyheim has a serious personal beef with Raekwon the Chef. Shyheim is not bashful about dissing Rae on several of the songs on his new album and he leaked a track earlier this year titled "Only Built 4 Sausage Linx (Hold That Thought)" which is a diss track directed straight at Raekwon. You can peep this track at: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.4122/title.shyheim-hold-that-thought-fatboy-raekwon-diss

"Disrespectfully Speaking" is a true underground, hardcore, hip-hop album. Shyheim spits his darts with the same harsh, raspy flow he always has. In this regard, he hasn't lost a step. The album's production I believe is mainly from his long-time producer RNS and the beats are not as good as the beats he had on "Manchild," however, this is a solid album regardless. The features on the album are all his boys from his new Bottom Up Label.

As many of y'all know, I'll listen to just about any hip-hop comin' from Staten Island. There's just a special feel to this breed of hip-hop. I've always liked Shyheim, but he definitely should've waited on pulling the trigger on his Raekwon diss track until hearing "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. II" because a lot of his disses are way off base now due to how good OB4CLII turned out. "Disrespectfully Speaking" has a second Raekwon diss record titled "Look At Me" where he continues to call Raekwon fat. I'll have to side with Raekwon when it comes to who's album was better this year, but never-the-less, Shyheim always has held his own.

Despite my Raekwon bias, Shyheim is still that dude and still creates that real hip-hop (none of that BULLSHIT). I strongly feel that he's one of the most underrated emcees from the '90s and, as you can see, he's my "Emcee of the Week" this week. If you haven't heard his 2nd and 3rd albums, "The Lost Generation" and "Manchild" respectively, then you need to get on that shit hasta pronto!!!

You can follow Shyheim on Twitter at: www.Twitter.com/SHYHEIMFRANKLIN

Money Miz gives "Disrespectfully Speaking" a  3.5 / 5.0.

Peep the promotional video below where Shyheim incorporates three music videos off "Disrespectfully Speaking" into one fluid trailer:

0 comments:

Post a Comment