THROWBACK CLASSIC - Week of 11/2

Monday, November 2, 2009
It's been hard for me to not acknowledge Jay-Z's reign at the top of the hip-hop world this week. God knows how much I hate on him, but at the same time I really can't deny him the credit he's due on certain songs and albums he's made throughout his career. I strongly believe that Jigga has made some of the worst hip-hop to ever come out. I also think that because of his status in the game, those horrible songs he's put out into the mainstream have done a lot of harm to hip-hop in general. On the flip side, Jay's put out some of the most incredible hip-hop ever as well. It still boggles my mind how he can be so good, yet simultaneously suck so bad.

Regardless, Jay-Z is currently running the game again because of his World Series performance with Alicia Keys last week and his new beef with Beanie Sigel. I almost believe this beef is being staged to occur at the same time as the World Series. You've got the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees competing and you've got Jay-Z (reppin' New York) and Beanie Sigel (reppin' Philadelphia). It's almost too much of a coincidence for my liking.

Jay has managed to go platinum again and remain relevant at the age of 39 (soon to be 40 next month) which is quite the accomplishment considering the way the hip-hop consumer is as of late. Tracks become "old" after being leaked for one day now and if you aren't a brand new artist in your early twenties, then you ain't cool at all. I give Jay credit for this. I also give him all the credit for putting out the piece of shit that is the Blueprint 3. Ah well, what can ya do???

Peep the throwback of the week this week - Jay-Z's "Dead Presidents":

0 comments:

Post a Comment