EMCEE OF THE WEEK - Willie The Kid

Monday, January 25, 2010

 
This week's EMCEE OF THE WEEK is Willie The Kid a.k.a. The Crown Prince. For those of you who aren't up on the next generation of Hip Hop greats, I'ma have to bring y'all to the "Ledge of Know." Willie The Kid is the younger brother of the '90s Wu-Fam emcee La The Darkman (a.k.a. L.A.D.). He's from Grand Rapids, Michigan but makes a lot of his moves in Atlanta due to his close link with DJ Drama and his Aphilliates Music Group.

Willie played the background throughout the '90s while his big brother La The Darkman was shootin videos with Raekwon the Chef and cuttin' classic records like "Lucci." In 2005, Willie The Kid quit playin' the background and began to shine in the foreground as one of DJ Drama's protege MCs. I first heard Willie on a J-Love mixtape a few years ago on the track "When The Money Comes" with La The Darkman. I've always been a fan of the Notorious L.A.D. and upon hearing Willie spit with his brother, I was immediately hooked. Then he banged me in the head with the Don Cannon produced "Get You A Gun." That was pure ridin' music for me that summer. The best way for me to explain how nice Willie The Kid is, is to SHOW you. Experience what I did in 2006 when I heard "Get You A Gun" below:



After rockin' that joint all summer in Boston, I NEEDED to hear more of this mutha fucka and MORE is exactly what I got.


DJ Drama really put his backing into Willie, givin' him some prime time exposure on his official Gangsta Grillz 1 & 2 albums as well as his Lil Wayne Dedication 2 & 3 mixtapes. Once Willie got introduced to the Hip Hop world through DJ Drama's Aphilliates Music Group, shit just took off: ENTER HIS ROYAL FLYNESS...


Willie subsequently showed and proved his star power in this Hip Hop game through the release of four official mixtapes with DJ Drama and one with DJ Scream. In addition, he released a 13 track EP record titled "Absolute Greatness" in 2008 that was really more like an album.


He's been puttin' in crazy work in the last couple years being featured on tracks with Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, Bun B, La The Darkman, Gucci Mane, and Flo Rida. Busta Rhymes went so far as to say that the torch should be passed on to Willie The Kid, the Crown Prince. He stated to Willie: "I like to see real niggas that's worthy of their shot, get their shot, ya nah'mean? It's about helpin' the new niggas that's worthy of gettin' the torch passed to them and givin' them the torch and you seem like one of them niggas Willie The Kid!!!"

Willie The Kid's most recent releases include his mixtapes "The Fly" and "The Outkast" which have both been received with critical acclaim. I've been a big fan of WTK ever since hearing him on mixtapes back in 2005 and 2006. He's set to release his first official studio album this year titled "The Crown Prince." I expect big things from this album. He's blessed with some sick in-house producers out of AMG, including Don Cannon and V12 Da Hitman and combining these producers with Willie's silky smooth flow and witty rhyme style is a recipe for "Absolute Greatness."

I pride myself on the motto of this blog: "Hip Hop & Bullshit, where we separate the REAL from the BULLSHIT." Willie The Kid coincidentally feels the same way as I do on the chorus of his V12 Da Hitman produced track The Real: "I know you used to that bullshit, yeah, but I'ma put you on some real shit. Much more than that shoot 'em up kill shit, yeah, I'ma put you on some real shit."

Well like my man Willie did for me, I'ma put YOU on some REAL shit. Check out the videos from Willie The Kid below:

Follow Willie The Kid on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/TheWillieTheKid

Peep his official MySpace at: www.myspace.com/TheWillieTheKid





0 comments:

Post a Comment