EMCEE OF THE WEEK - Eminem

Monday, December 21, 2009

All I gotta say is "wow" this week. Eminem's new re-release of his Relapse album titled "Relapse: Refill" is off the nipple for sure. This shit is iller than the donkey of the week this week. The re-release is the same exact album plus a new bonus disc with 7 new tracks. With the 7 bonus tracks, "Relapse: Refill" is one of the top 5 best albums this year.

I'll openly admit that I am very critical of Eminem. I've always thought that he's one of the top lyricists ever, but I've been disappointed with his albums. I shouldn't say disappointed, it's more like upset that he puts bullshit on all of his albums. I just feel like he has yet to make a true "classic" album and it's because of the commercial bullshit he puts on his albums (i.e. "Ass Like That," "My Name Is," and "Without Me"). Refill has some shit like that; however, it's a lot better than his "Encore" album. He really goes in lyrically and the new tracks definitely satisfy those of us that wanted a little more from the initial release of this album.


What I like about "Refill" is that the new tracks aren't overly commercial. I mean it's Eminem, so this shit will be all over the radio, but the tracks a tough. It ain't no teenage girl fan base bullshit. My favorite shit is "Taking My Ball." The beat is a true banger and Slim goes off on it. He also kills his competition on "Forever," outshining Kanye, Lil Wayne and Drake. They really aren't in the same lane as Em is on that track.

The production from Dr. Dre (or should I say Mark Batson, 'cause Dre never really makes any beats by himself, SMH) is actually nasty. I guess he saves all of his best shit for himself and Eminem. You know, just give the scraps to legends like Rakim and Raekwon. Fuckin' cock sucker.

Bottom line: there is no denying Eminem's skill set on the microphone. He's a beast and its evident that he has staying power in this hip hop game. After taking a five year hiatus from rap, he's returned this year with two excellent releases. Now that "Relapse" has been "Refilled" with 7 new songs, I can say that this double album is one of the best releases of the year.

Money Miz gives Eminem's "Relapse: Refill" a  4 / 5.

Check out the trailer for the new album below:


 


Be sure to check out the track "Taking My Ball" below:

0 comments:

Post a Comment