Duck Down Signing @ Fat Beats NY

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On Friday, October 23rd, Duck Down Records held a record signing at Fat Beats NY for the releases of Sean Price's new mixtape "Kimbo Price" and KRS-One & Buckshot's "Survival Skills" album. I heard about the signing through Twitter updates from both Fat Beats (@FatBeatsNY) and Duck Down CEO Dru Ha (@DruHa). I really can't say enough about how amazing Twitter is for marketing. I personally get about 90% of my hip-hop news, mixtapes, singles, and other various hip-hop related info directly from rappers and websites by following them on Twitter. (By the way, my Twitter user name is @HipHopAndBS in case y'all wanna follow me and my bullshit!!!)

I got excited about this particular signing because Buckshot, KRS-One, and Sean Price were all advertised to be present signing copies of their respective albums. As you could imagine, Money Miz wasn't about to miss this shit. So I went to Fat Beats NY dolo and got their on time, which I always do for hip-hop events and I always regret it because these mutha fuckas are notoriously late.


As soon as I arrived, DJ Eclipse (Non Phixion's DJ and owner of Fat Beats) was behind the register and he hooked me up with copies of "Survival Skills" and "Kimbo Price." He quickly let me know that KRS-One wouldn't be at the signing. That pissed me right the fuck off. It ain't too often that you get to meet the RZA and KRS-One in the same month, nah'mean?!?! So I waited for an hour for Buckshot to arrive and he was mad cool. There was about 60 people packed into this small record store on the lower West Side of Manhattan and Buckshot walked around and chilled with each and every one of us. He signed my CD and thanked me for supporting. I let him know that we appreciate the real and am glad that he, as co-owner of Duck Down Records, doesn't put out any BULLSHIT. Buckshot is well known for being the ultimate "back-pack emcee" and he let us know he's releasing a new back-pack called the "Buck Bag." Inside will be some "goodies" when you purchase the bag. He said that Jansport and LL Bean ain't got shit on his "Buck Bag." Haha. We'll see just how dope this bag is next year.

The main reason I was at the signing was to meet Sean Price, one of the most entertaining rappers out there. But, after three hours of waiting and Shukey Duckey tellin' the crowd he was on his way, they finally explained that Sean Price's car had been pulled over for smokin' piff and he got arrested. Whether I believe them or not, it really didn't matter. I waited for three hours for no reason and bought his mixtape that is probably his worst.


On a slightly better note, I was able to meet Hip-Hop & Bullshit's "EMCEE OF THE WEEK" from a couple weeks ago, Skyzoo. One Be Lo from Binary Star and Torae were also in attendance and I was able to chill with them for a minute.

At the end of the day, I was glad to meet the Buckshot Shorty (and they weren't kidding when they called him "shorty"). Peep the videos below of Black Moon's "Who Got Da Props" and Pharoahe Monch and Sean Price performing their verses to "The Matrix" off of Black Milk's album "Tronic."












0 comments:

Post a Comment