"The Tao of Wu" RZA Book Signing

Thursday, October 15, 2009

The RZA released his new book today, "The Tao of Wu", and I had the fortune of being able to meet this hip-hop legend in person at his book signing in the Barnes & Noble in Union Square NYC. The experience was ill. RZA came out to a loud applause and read an excerpt from his new book. He then proceeded to give a highly intellectual speech about his life and his passion for finding inner truth and wisdom. It was truly an inspiring speech that surprised my Indian girlfriend who was very impressed of his knowledge of Hinduism and the God Krishna.

RZA seemed genuinely humbled by how many people attended his book reading and signing tonight and thanked everyone for coming out. He said that he loves his Wu-Tang fans, but that music is a form of entertainment and everyone needs music in their lives. He said that it means even more to him that people would come out to support something that he wrote. RZA was so moved by the fact that his written word and wisdom of self could be passed along to the masses. He expressed to the entire crowd how much it meant to him that we were interested in what he had to say and write. Bong!

When I met him, I told him something that I always wanted to say. The vocal sample on the track "Hell's Windstaff" from Wu-Tang Forever is one of the illest things I've ever heard in a song. He let only a snippet of the vocal sample out at the beginning of the track and then slowly incorporated more and more of it until the middle of his verse when he allowed the full sample to play out saying "SOMETIIIIIIMES". I don't know if it's just me, but the way he built up the release of that vocal sample on the beat was simply magical. I just had to let him know that I appreciate his attention to minor details and his ability to create the most original style of sampling ever. RZA respectfully thanked me for paying that close attention to his beats. BONG, BONG!!!

Check my book signing at the top. This dude laughed when he saw my name, "Money Miz", on the post-it note and he immediately knew how to sign my book: "Cash Rule".

I've always wanted to meet this guy. He truly lives the five pillars of hip-hop culture: MCing, DJing, Breaking, Graffiti, and Knowledge. Afrika Bambaata should be very proud of the RZA carrying the hip-hop torch for this long. My meeting tonight was off the nipple. Bong!

I also met 9th Prince, RZA's brother from Killarmy who told me Killarmy will be coming out with a new album in 2011 and he hit me off with his new single "On The Rise" featuring the RZA. THE BEAT IS FUCKIN' B.A.N.A.N.A.S. They killed this shit. It's probably the best 9th Prince song he's ever made. Bong, Bong!!

The reviews have been excellent so far for the book with Rolling Stone giving it a 4 out of 5. Looks like the "Wu Library" RZA was talking about in his verse on "Uzi" is actually coming to life!!! VH1 needs to do a Hip Hop Honors show that is strictly dedicated to the RZA.

BONG, BONG!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Wu-RZA/dp/1594488851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255661154&sr=8-1

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I write to you from Regal Literary, the agency that represents RZA's books. To celebrate the publication of RZA's latest book, The Tao of Wu, we have a special offer for fans to win signed books and a very special once-in-a-lifetime offer for one lucky RZA fan.

As a way of recognizing that you have covered The Tao of Wu, we want to give you and other blogs who posted about the book the first opportunity to spread the word about this contest.

If you would be interested in doing a post about it on your blog or covering it on your website, please e-mail rza@regal-literary.com for more details on the special offer.

Thank you very much for your coverage of The Tao of Wu.

rza@regal-literary.com

Post a Comment